True Western Towns
Touring our #9 town of the year, from Fort Abraham Lincoln to Harvest Brazilian Gril
- Written by Tracy Potter
- Published March 12, 2012
1. Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park provides the finest example of living history on the Northern Plains.
Besides the reconstructed Custer House (with its guided tours by 1875-era re-enactor soldiers and maids) and its seven other military reconstructions, the state park includes a Mandan village, occupied from 1575-1781, with six earthlodges filled with exhibits. An excellent visitors center provides the best display in the world on the history of the Mandan people.
2. Check out the budget-friendly (admission is free!) North Dakota Heritage Center, offering up the “official” state history, on the state capitol grounds. The museum is currently undergoing a $52 million expansion.
3. Tour North Dakota’s best Indian art gallery, Five Nations Arts, in the 1929 rail depot on Main Street in Mandan. You’ll see sculptures, paintings, jewelry and traditional arts from Lakota, Dakota, Mandan, Hidatsa, Arikara and Chippewa artists.
4. Peacock Alley is a historic watering hole in downtown Bismarck. Once the Patterson Hotel, it has been the bipartisan meeting place of politicians and lobbyists for a century.
5. Fiesta Villa, across from Peacock Alley and housed in Bismarck’s historic...
The full text of this article is available to registered users of TrueWestMagazine.com. Register now!
Registration is FREE and takes only a few seconds to complete. If you are already registered on TrueWestMagazine.com, please log in below.
SUBSCRIBE today and save!
Get instant access to subscriber content on TrueWestMagazine.com!
When it comes to keeping the lore of the West alive, nobody does it better. True West readers get the no-holds-barred, straight shootin' facts about the West from our staff of experts and historians.
(Newsstand cover price--$71.88)
(Newsstand cover price--$143.76)
(Newsstand cover price--$215.64) BEST OFFER!
After subscribing, just come back here and register with us by clicking on the register link below.